Thursday, July 26, 2012

Smoothies!

I consider my self to be a smoothie connoisseur...although maybe 'smoothie junnkie' is more appropriate.  Either way, I love my smoothies.

People tell me that they have a hard time drinking their meals.  That they'd rather eat their meal, it makes them feel fuller.  Not me!  I love drinking my breakfast every day.  (Not to say that I don't enjoy  pancakes, bacon and eggs on occasion!)  Its the best way for me to make sure I get lots of fruits and veggies without the calories of the popular smoothie chain stores out there.  And without the cost.  Even a small smoothie at those places can run you a couple of bucks.

In the summer months when there is a ton of fresh fruit out there, I buy in bulk, chop it up, bag it and freeze it.  (hint:  I used my egg slicer to cut up the strawberries.  Just another useful tip I got from Pinterest.  Saved a ton of time!)  When I want to make a smoothie, I pull out one of my kits, add some yogurt,fruit juice or apple concentrate and some water and voila!!

Just to clarify, prepping my smoothie kits is very time consuming...but when I need a smoothie in a hurry, its ready to go.  Less prep time in the morning when I'm trying to get the kids out the door.

Here are some kits in the making:

Typical ingredients:
strawberries
blueberries
bananas
mango
nectarines
cantalope
grapes
red cabbage
spinach
kale
carrots


also:
ground wheatgerm (1 tablespoon per baggie)
apple juice concentrate
grape juice
apple juice
yogurt

Not every bag contains all the ingredients.  Just mix and match.  You'll never have the same smoothie twice but they will all be GOOD.  Lay them flat to freeze them.  It'll save room in your freezer and they are easier to break up a bit before putting them in the blender:


My tool of choice:

Love my Vitamix.  Well worth the $$.
This might be a good time to note that my smoothies aren't always pretty.  Sometimes they look like mud or brown liquid.  That's because kale and blueberries mixed with strawberry yogurt and a splash of agave don't paint a pretty palette.
But its good for you!!  No added chemicals or stuff.

Once I blend it all up and give it a quick taste test, sometimes I add a bit of agave. Its a natural sweetener and won't give you a sugar rush.
I get mine at Costco in a two pack:
Now, its back to the kitchen to prep some more fruit.  I can't wait to peel, cut, bag and freeze these bad boys:

No comments:

Post a Comment